Powered By Blogger

Thursday 5 February 2015

THE SILENT BELL

I saw this guy for the first time underneath the Water tank by the batch of 1973. Back in last summer, I was an intern and was bewildered by his actions. I doubted whether is dumb alone or deaf too. Still, I am not sure if he could really speak and hear, or is it that he didn't know any language. Always his actions with sounds here and there conveyed his message. He understood the customers' problem from their minor actions with the cycle. His usual style would be to lock up the cycles together, get the keys and gestures to tell us the time for the pickup after return. For me, he had been sincere and prompt to the time he says expect for once which he justified with a subtle smile. The lean man with his shrunk hand and belly gestured with incomplete sound to let me know that he was hungry and had to go, have his meal. I have seen him more often at the Campus Cafe with a cup of beverage and at times with a flask too. He was not always alone and had a guy or two sitting and chatting back at the shop. I am not sure whether the worker is not so dedicated or don’t know some work, but he took only puncture works. If it’s the former case, I won’t blame him for taking only puncture works, which maybe enough with the cheap salary he earns from the owner.
            I don’t want to come to false conclusions, rather urge to think and learn his situation. I am not so compassionate, but the basic humanity that dwells in me make me to ask this question to the man we can see towards the end of the day at the cycle shop, for taking the collection from the worker. It’s just a small shop and for the rags he's always in (and i haven't seen him in any other attire) I think he is not paid an amount that he actually deserves. He would be striving to adjust with his hardly some income on a daily basis. He should be having a home outside the campus and I don't know whether there's a family or not. Isn't it fair to check his situation and do the needful for a human just like us to have a better life, at least as a thanksgiving for the help he does to a great number of students? He could make a decent living out of his work on that shop on his own. Just because he is physically challenged doesn’t mean he can’t look after his own life as I see it. What he needs and lacks is some support which we could give with little effort. Seeing him around the campus speeding on his old cycle in a dirty white shirt and trousers always rings this silent bell, waiting for someone to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me??

My photo
Calicut, Kerala, India
Scribble ... Scribble... Scribble... that's what I like :) It doesn't matter what I write, since I write what I SEE& I FEEL what I write! You could find more of personal stuff here . But you could find you in some of them ofcourse... Thanks for reading :)